20 Scripture-Based Prayers to Pray for your Pastor
By Terry Teykl
- I thank You, Father, that Your eyes are on my shepherd and Your ears are attentive to my pastor’s prayers and Your face is against those who plot evil against my pastor (1 Pet. 3:12). For I know that in all things You work for the good of David Vaughan who loves You (Ro. 8:28). Who can accuse this pastor who is daily interceded for by Christ Jesus? (Ro.8:33-34). Therefore, in all things my pastor is more than a conqueror (Ro. 8:37). Thank You, God.
- Lord, I pray for discernment in exposing any schemes of the enemy against my pastor. Show our congregation how to pray against all powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of darkness in heavenly realms. And, Lord, protect us as we wage warfare on behalf of our pastor (Eph. 6:11-12).
- Father, I thank You that no weapons formed against my pastor will prosper. Every tongue raised against my shepherd will be cast down. Rumors and gossip will be turned aside. For will be still before the Lord and wait on You. My pastor will dwell in the shadow of the Most High God and will be delivered from terror, darts of doubt, and diseases (Ps. 91:5-6). Set Your angels about my pastor (Ps. 91:11) and no power of the enemy shall harm David Vaughan (Lk. 10:19). Thank God forevermore!
- Lord, let David Vaughan have a discerning mind to prioritize the precious minutes in the day. Let my pastor discern what is most important and be guarded against the tyranny of the urgent (2 Cor. 11:14, 1 Jn. 4:1).
- Father, allow my pastor to glory only in the cross (Gal. 6:14). Keep my pastor from pride and pity. Let the cross be his reason for ministry.
- Jesus, keep my pastor holy in every way (1 Pet. 1:16). Protect my shepherd from seducing spirits especially when he/she is tired and hard-pressed. Give David Vaughan comrades to help protect him/her, and to share with in personal holiness (Jas. 4:7). As my pastor draws near to You, draw near to my pastor (Jas. 4:8).
- I pray that the eyes of my pastor may be enlightened to know the hope to which we are called and know the riches of our glorious inheritance in the saints. Let my pastor know the incomparable great power which is in us who believe (Eph. 1:18-19). Let David Vaughan see the full revelation of Jesus Christ (Gal. 1:12). Place in him/her a desire to know Christ and the power of His resurrection (Phil. 3:10).
- Lord, I lift up the hands of my pastor and his/her family. Place them in the shelter of the Most High to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, You are their refuge and fortress. You will preserve their family time. You will cover their home. Your faithfulness will meet their financial needs in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19). You will command Your angels to guard them as they travel and win the lost. You have said, “I will be with [them] in trouble, I will deliver [them] and honor [them]. With a long life, I will satisfy [them] and show [them] my salvation” (Ps. 91:15-16). In Jesus’ name I cancel all assignments of the enemy against them.
- In Jesus’ name I speak to church hurts, abuse, and ungrateful forces to move. I speak to mountains of criticism and inordinate expectations to be cast into the sea. I speak to stress, excessive phone counseling, and fatigue to be cast into the sea, and I believe every need, vision, and dream of David Vaughan’s will be completed (Mk. 11:22-24, Phil. 4:19).
- Forgive those who hurt David Vaughan and speak against him/her, and may my pastor walk in forgiveness (Eph. 4:32-5:1). Guard my pastor from futile thinking (Eph. 4:17) and a vain imagination. Let every thought be taken captive to obey Christ (2 Cor. 10:3-5).
- In Jesus’ name I bind the fear of failure and the fear of humankind (Jn. 14:1). Let David Vaughan’s confidence not be eroded by the daily resistance to the gospel or his/her vision. Allow my pastor to fear God more than people.
- Father, heal my shepherd’s heart of any grief caused by ministry. Bestow on my pastor a crown of beauty instead of ashes and anoint him/her with the oil of gladness instead of mourning. Clothe my shepherd with a garment of praise instead of a spirit of depression. I call my pastor an oak of righteousness, a planting of the Lord to display Your splendor (Is. 61:3).
- Keep my pastor in the midst of good and exciting worship. Keep my pastor from the traditions of men and religion which hold the form of godliness, but deny its power (2 Tim. 3:5). Give David Vaughan a vision of heaven (Isaiah 6, Revelation 4).
- With my shield of faith I cover my shepherd’s mind to quench all flaming darts of doubt or vain imagination or mental distractions (Eph. 6:16, Col. 2:6-8). Let the mind of Christ be strong in my pastor (1 Cor. 2:16).
- Lord, I stand against the enemies of my pastor’s prayer life: “busyness” (Acts 6:2-4), compulsions, compromise (Acts 5), unnecessary phone calls, chronic counselees, fatigue, sleepiness (Mt. 26:41), appetites, television, late meetings, over-commitments, and doubt. Let nothing hinder David Vaughan’s time with You. Let my pastor rise up to seek You (Mk. 1:35), pray with other pastors (Acts 1:14), and pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17). Give my pastor the time, the desire, and the place to pray (Acts 16:16). I rebuke in the name of Jesus any distractions from my pastor’s devotional life.
- Bless my pastor with rich study time (Acts 6:4, 2 Tim. 2:15).
- As David Vaughan preaches, let him/her proclaim Jesus Christ (Col. 1:28). Let my pastor’s preaching be in the energy of the Holy Spirit.
- Lord, by Your Holy Spirit, anoint David Vaughan to preach, and bring apostolic results (Acts 2:37). As my pastor speaks the Word, let signs and wonders follow confirming it (Mk. 16:20). Let the sick be healed; let the oppressed be set free. Anoint David Vaughan with the truth (Mt. 16:17). Let people be cut to the heart and accept Jesus Christ.
- Lord, as You have promised, grant my beloved shepherd lasting fruit (Mal. 3:11, Jn. 15:16). Let my pastor’s converts become disciples who in turn disciple. Bless my pastor with disciples who grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- Lord, keep my pastor in the fear of God. Let my pastor not fear people (Prov. 19:23). Give David Vaughan boldness to confront sin and church controllers. Honor my pastor’s stand for You. Come to my pastor’s rescue. I claim Psalm 35 for my shepherd.
Taken from Preyed On or Prayed For by Terry Teykl. Prayer Point Press, 1-888-656-6067. www.prayerpointpress.com. Excerpted from Pray! MagazineIssue #2. ©2000 The Navigators. All rights reserved.